Tooth enamel erosion can leave your teeth susceptible to a range of dental issues. It is important to be under the care of a trusted dentist and practice excellent oral hygiene habits to keep your tooth enamel protected. The tooth is made up of several layers; the enamel is the outermost layer that acts a barrier that helps protect the innermost layers from acid and plaque. Once the enamel is damaged, the innermost layer is vulnerable to temperature changes, acid and the development of complex dental issues.
Lee, Bonfiglio, Vesely & Associates of Annapolis offers a range of services and treatments to patients with damaged tooth enamel. However, Lee, Bonfiglio, Vesely & Associates of Annapolis recommends that patients take steps to keep their enamel protected to avoid the need for treatment. For your convenience, we have compiled tips to help keep your enamel healthy and functional.
Signs of Tooth Enamel Erosion
Our dentists at Lee, Bonfiglio, Vesely & Associates of Annapolis suggests that patients know the signs of tooth enamel erosion so that they can quickly receive the treatment they need to prevent the development of a more complex dental problem. The signs of tooth enamel erosion depend on each patient, but the most common signs include:
- Tooth sensitivity: Eating certain foods and beverages may cause pain or discomfort in the teeth.
- Cracked or chipped teeth: The breakdown of your enamel can weaken the teeth and cause chips and cracks to appear in the teeth.
- Discoloration of the teeth: As the tooth enamel erodes, it can reveal a more yellow color or spots on the surface of the tooth.
Keep Your Enamel Protected
Visiting Lee, Bonfiglio, Vesely & Associates of Annapolis allows are trusted the dentist to properly check your teeth for any signs of tooth enamel erosion. We suggest patients visit our Annapolis dentist office at least twice a year for preventive care exams, which allows us to examine and properly treat any dental issues we may come across. When it comes to protecting your tooth enamel, you can also follow these tips to help keep your enamel healthy:
- Limit the number of acidic foods and drinks you consume. Things like soda, citrus fruit, and certain beverages aren’t beneficial to your tooth enamel. They can weaken the enamel if they are consumed regularly. If you do consume acidic food and beverages, try rinsing your mouth out to minimize the amount in your mouth.
- Try using an ADA approved fluoride toothpaste. Toothpaste is a great way to incorporate fluoride into your oral hygiene routine. Fluoride can help strengthen your enamel and keep it protected at the same time.
- Incorporate more water into your diet. Water helps stimulate saliva. Saliva helps remove debris and food particles from stick to your teeth throughout the day. If debris and food particles are not properly removed, it can lead to the development of plaque which is difficult to remove.
Visit our Annapolis dentist office
Lee, Bonfiglio, Vesely & Associates of Annapolis offer a range of cosmetic, general, and restorative dentistry service to help patients achieve a healthier smile. If your teeth have been damaged by tooth enamel erosion, we can help find a solution for you. Patients can schedule an appointment online or call 410.989.8298
Posted in: Oral health